Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Two Dancing Girls and a Bottle of Whiskey

This experience is proving to be a lesson in patience, anxiety and a complete lack of control.  Going into the doctor pre-chemo visit, check-in, whatever you call it, my dad tells the nurse that last night his incision has opened up again and is oozing some fairly nasty stuff.  So pretty much, I know right away that we are NOT gonna start chemo today.  The good news is that dad has gained 6 lbs since his last visit and his nutrition counts are getting better.  When I bring up the possibility of an anti-depressant, my dad asks the doctor if he would prescribe two dancing girls and a bottle of whiskey.  Thank the Lord his oncologist is a good humored man who can roll with my dad's embarrassing/brilliant sense of humor.  I cannot believe it, but my dad has agreed to take the anti-depressant.  Maybe now he will rest.

FMLA papers are filled out finally and I'm worried about surviving this myself. That sounds ridiculous and perhaps even selfish, but I'm serious.  I've got so much stress and anxiety running wild through my body.  With every set back, minor and major, every prescription that needs filling, chasing down every food that might possibly be tolerable (I don't dare hope for actually tasting good or being satisfying), with every one appointment leading to three more appointments, I grow more uptight and tired.  Not to mention spending my every free moment holding down a high stress, full time job, mother my two toddlers and lastly, but God knows is not the least of these, be a wife to one amazing man.  I'm so wiped out right now and all I want to do is curl up on the couch and sleep.  But I can't.  I have to go to my dad's doctors office to pick up FMLA papers and then get my boys and come home to start dinner.  I don't know how any one does this without the support that I have. God bless them.  A support group would be great.  But when? After chemo starts? Next week?

Two dancing girls and a bottle of whiskey.  Yeah.  I get it dad.

6 comments:

  1. Wish I could send you strength...energy...a milk-out-the-nose laugh...a nap. But I'll have to settle for sending you love...and lots of it. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on the one hand and praying for you in the next. This is brilliantly written. This is going to be ongoing, right?
    Glad to hear your father is more agreeable to following the doctor's advice. I am sure getting some sleep (your dad) will improve his mood somewhat :) Also not being hungry AND tired will help.
    Mel, rebuke that stress and give it to the Lord. Tell your body it will NOT accept it or be ruled by it. I am not preaching to you. I have had to learn to do the same here.
    I LOVE Granny, just like you do your father. Check this out. She is stubborn as a mule, won't listen to doctor's directions, and nothing anyone does is right. Sound like anyone you live with right now?
    They are so alike I swear that must be why they don't get along.
    The 'kindred' spirit in them is in denial.
    Anyway. Thanks for starting this.
    BTW - YOUR MOM SAYS YOU ARE NOT SELFISH!!! You have to think about your health and I hope you are taking your vitamins.
    Two dancing girls and a bottle of whiskey? Yep. That's the cowboy I know and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, that last comment was made by your 'tekkie' illiterate mom and not edy. I don't know what happened, but at least it posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Mel. Just wow. I love you guys. I know, first hand, how this road can feel. It was just about a year ago that my mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 Inflammatory Breast Cancer.....scariest time of my life. It still is a tough road but you're right...support is everything. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you guys....really. I am praying for your entire family and if there's ANYTHING else I can do, I will be happy to help in any way.

    Your dad is an exceptionally brave man and he can beat this. And your love and devotion is one of his biggest weapons. I'm proud of you, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry to hear you are going thru this. it's tough but worth every struggle. love you,j

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the love and the prayers. I love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete