Monday, February 14, 2011

All That You Can't Leave Behind

Driving home today the song Walk On began playing on my iPod.  It reminded me what comfort food U2's music is for my soul.  The lyrics and melodies of Bono always feel sung directly to me and for me.  And that voice.  That voice! Mmmm...  The longing in the echo/effects driven guitars of The Edge are ever heartbreaking.  And the enormous rhythms from Larry Mullen, Jr. and Adam Clayton never fail to make me want to take up arms (which is hilariously ironic), march for the people or in the very least shake my ass.

As a teenager, their posters wallpapered my bedroom.  I collected black felt hats, most of which I rarely had the courage to leave the house in.  I bought second hand old man suit coats to wear with my ripped up jeans and black boots.  I was hilarious/ridiculous.  The first songs I learned to play on guitar were from Joshua Tree; Where the Streets Have No Name was the very first one.  At sixteen I would imagine becoming famous, meeting Bono, falling in love and living happily ever after in rock star bliss.  (Sorry Ali! LOL) Identifying with my Irish roots didn't hurt either.  I felt cool. Confident. Understood.

I remember the first time I heard this particular song.  I got the CD as a Christmas gift.  The bridge always brings my dad to mind and tears to my eyes.
   
     Oh to say what it is if you've never had one
     Oh I can't say where it is, but I know I'm going home  


To echo the opinion of my dear friend, Shae Cottar, Bono is perhaps the greatest worship leader ever born.  I feel so spiritually connected, bare and free when listening to U2.

I'd like to post the lyrics, but I think the song should be experienced audibly.  Listen via the following link:

     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwKEdFoUB0o

Turn up your speakers, close your eyes and let it take you where it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment