Friday, February 11, 2011

The Big Bad Wolff, Part I

Once my sisters and I grasped the concept of what was happening to our dad, we unspokenly became an army of four.  Collectively and without hesitation we decided he must come to Houston to be seen at MD Anderson, arguably the best cancer hospital on the entire planet.  That meant dad would be with me.  A prospect which both thrilled and terrified me.  My sisters and I called on every favor, pulled every string, whatever it took we were going to get him here.  Now, MD Anderson is not known as a hospital you just walk into and be seen.  It's a process which takes time.  The very thing we did not have.  Working in clinical research, I asked around for references.  I thought for sure that would be an easy in.  My sister Lynn, a nationally certified EMT, had arranged for a medical flight to be on standby in the event that my dad could not fly commercially.  She even had a friend/co-worker ready to fly with her and my dad from Idaho to Texas.  She also got references from a friend at the VA for potential contacts in Houston.  Meanwhile in Idaho, my sister Veronica, mother of six, got my dad's affairs, and medical records/bills in order.  Which meant moving two horses, a dog, his important belongings from his place to hers.  A two and a half hour drive one way.  She was also responsible for making all of the travel arrangements for my dad and two other sisters. No small feat. My sister Edy was on standby in California.  I needed her here the day before so she could help me get the spare room ready and receive our dad.  Turns out of all of our contacts, the one that paid off came through my husband, from our pastor.  He was friends with the administrative director of the unit my dad needed to get into.  Amazing how God works.  The golden egg was right in front of us where we least expected it.  The director was amazing.  So kind and thoughtful and caring.  One of those etheral souls who seem to be made of something other than flesh and blood.  She gave me her cell # and told me to call anytime day or night if I needed anything.  Even to simply talk.  An absolute miracle was blossoming.  All of the pieces to the bigger picture were falling into place.  All signs pointed to H-Town.

Only one problem. He didn't want to come.  He did not want to get on a plane.  His doctor (and his daughters) wouldn't let him drive.  At one point in trying to sway him, he said to me, "Shut up, shut up, you talk too much.  Just listen.  I don't want to live in Texas and I don't want to die in Texas."  At that point I sank down into the gravity of our new reality and realized I have to accept whatever he decides.  This is his cancer.  We are all along for the ride, but it is his illness.  He needed to be heard and he needed to be respected.  I let go.  I accepted his decision to stay in Idaho. 

That afternoon I got a call from Veronica.  Dad was being released from the hospital and he would be in Houston in two days.  I was to pick him up from the airport on Sunday. Everything went into warp speed from there.  Lynn flew to Idaho only to miss her flight in Denver due to inclement weather.  Dad had to fly the first leg of his trip alone, meet Lynn in Denver and fly to Houston together. Edy flew in the night before from Oakland. MD Anderson called with a Monday morning appointment for dad.  At 8:00 am he would meet his oncologist, Dr. Wolff.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can only imagine what emotional roller coaster that all of you may be going through. I do not know any of you personally and I know that I have only known Carolyn for a short period of time but i do understand how important and amazing family can be when they get together to help their loved ones.I wish you all and your father the best and want you all to know he will be in my prayers. Continue to do whatever you have to and don't ever give up. Walk by faith not by sight!
    -Myke

    ReplyDelete